Pages

Friday, March 30, 2018

Barabbas

Happy Good Friday!

What a wonderful day to be writing! It can also be quite a solemn day for many. I have been so happy to focus this entire week to the last week of the Lord's mortal life. That is one of my favorite parts of Easter as well as, now that I have done a mock one, the Passover. Yesterday, we celebrated the Last Supper or Passover that Jesus Christ had with his apostles. Today, we commemorate the terrible pains that Christ suffered in the garden of Gethsemane as He started the Atonement for each and everyone of us. His suffering continued this morning as He was brought before the Gentile rulers to be accused by His peers, the Pharisees and scribes. There is one scene that I would like to share that we all know but has found new meaning for me recently. Matthew 27:21 "The governor answered and said unto them, Whether of the twain will ye that I release unto you? They said, Barabbas." Barabbas as described in the scriptures was a robber, liar, and murderer. Most of us could say that we dislike Barabbas very much for all of his sins and for being let go when the Perfect Son could have been. Our teacher shared with us a thought that he received while pondering these verses. "Don't judge Barabbas, because Barabbas is you" We are the liars, the cheaters, the imperfect Barabbas that will be and have been released in stead of Jesus. We got released so not a single one of us has to suffer on the cross. As many sins that we have, we will not pay the price that we probably should because we are those who have been released. How much more appreciation that I feel when I finally put myself into the story. There is true power when we follow the example of Nephi and liken all scriptures unto ourselves. That is what I have learned this week. Scriptures are more than just old words on a page. They are lessons for each of us that we need daily. How power the scriptures are when we place ourself into them.

I hope this helps someone!

Devan Alder


No comments:

Post a Comment