Pages

Friday, March 2, 2018

All You Have

Another week down and ready for the new week!

I'm so glad that people like you are still looking at my blog, usually 140 of you! I'm humbled that you would take the time to read this. I know that most of the time you will read what I write and think, "That was nice". But my hope is that you will keep persistent and one day read something from here and think, "That's what I needed". That won't happen every time but I sure do love when the Spirit works through us in order to lift each other up. Writer and reader alike benefit with the touch of a master!

This week I dove into Matthew 14. This short chapter is full of sadness and great fulfillment. It begins with the devastating news of the plot and completion of the death of John the Baptist. Not only was it hard to lose a beloved family member, John was the Elias, the one to go before Jesus in all things. With John gone and preparing the way in the spirit world, Jesus would be soon to follow. It is easy to miss Jesus' reaction to this news. Matt 14:13 "When Jesus heard of it, he departed thence by ship into a desert place apart..." Yes, Christ was part mortal and thus needed some alone time in such a tragedy. He would receive no solitude at this time: "... and when the people had heard thereof, they followed him on foot out of the cities."
In a moment of sadness, Jesus was confronted with a mass of at least 5,000 people. We all know the story of the five loaves and two fishes. Have we ever considered that Christ performed this miracle while His mind was full of sadness from the the death of John? Have we ever tried to sympathize with our elder brother?
Have we ever wondered where the bread and fish came from? We read that the apostles, when asked to go get something to eat for the multitude, found one "lad" who had come prepared for this trek and had five loaves of bread and two fishes for the journey. I had never thought till this week: what kind of faith did that lad have to give all the food he had at the time to the Lord. Sometimes I have thought, "well it was the Lord", but it is not always that simple. The lad had no idea what he would get back in return. I love this beautiful imagery. "Jesus didn't ask the lad to feed the 5,000, all He asked from the lad was give Him all that he had" Christ doesn't ask you or me to feed 5,000, to solve all problems, to reach perfection tomorrow; He asks us to give Him all that we have, that's it, and He will take it and multiply it.
I believe it is easy to feel alone. I believe it is easy to feel unprepared. I believe it is easy to feel like we are not enough. But, if we take a step back and realize God's plan for us, if we realize that all we need to give the Lord is our heart, all of those negative feelings of fear and disappointment will be replaced by confidence and faith.
Is it hard to give up your 5 loaves and 2 fishes? Of course it is! Give it up though, and watch how many thousands you will feed!

-Devan Alder


   

No comments:

Post a Comment