Pages

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Hearts of the Fathers and Sons

Was this week a good week? Yes, it was an amazing week and I can hardly wait to get it down on "paper". I hope I can contain my excitement for all the many wonderful things that happened this week and this is an enjoyable reading experience and not just a waste of time for those who happen to  click here. I almost do not know where to start.
Saturday morning I had the pleasure to attend the temple with immediate and extended family. After our time their, this scripture came to my mind, which I am sure comes to many minds when they attend the temple. Malachi 4:6 "And he call turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse" This gorgeous scripture, for those who don't know, is about how that in these times before the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ, all of us have the duty to look back at our ancestors and remember them. This remembrance can help us to be better people now because of what and who they were. This also means that we can help them by doing saving ordinances on their behalf. We can also turn our hearts to our children (present or future, depending where you are in life) and strive to serve them or vis versa with children serving their parents. There is a special spirit around this type of service and this is what I felt in the temple. Although it may be personal what occurs in the temple, this must be written down. I felt a warm spirit being baptized by my father and right after baptizing him and addressing him as "Brother". Later, I baptized my dear cousin whose mother's name (my aunt) is Charlotte. The last person's name that my cousin was baptized for was named "Charlotte Haslam". The spirit testified to me that this work was true and that every person has significance in the sight of God. He knows us and loves us each individually and He loves us as families. The perspective that we gain looking back at our ancestors can be helpful in our every day-life decisions. There is no better feeling than being in a family.
I am well aware that no one has a perfect family but I believe we have many families. Just today, I gathered with my Stake Family at our Stake Conference. We laughed and cried together as we learned from the spirit that no matter who we are or where we are at, the Lord expects us to be lights to this world and grow brighter and brighter. We learned the only way we get ourself into trouble is through our thoughts and that the only way to get ourselves OUT of trouble is through our thoughts.

Life is rough, but it was meant to be that way and we were never supposed to do it alone.

Love you and more importantly Heavenly Father loves you.
-Devan Alder

No comments:

Post a Comment